Applying for the VA GI BILL® IS SIMPLE

To receive benefites you must apply throuth the Department of Veterans Affairs.

 For instructions and application forms please visit the VA Website.

For assistance and/or questions you can contact the VA by dialing: 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551)

What happens next?

The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision. Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a certificate of eligibility letter fro the VA. 

APPLYING FOR THE Military Tuition Assistance

Click on your respective Branch's Link to find out the process


Using your Education Benefits at Charlotte

As a First Time Benefit User or as a Transfer Student

You must be admitted to Charlotte and officially registered for courses. If you are an incoming transfer student, you will need to first enroll in classes here as well.

You will need to provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility Letter to the Veteran Services Office via the Veterans Portal. If you do not have your Certificate of Eligibility you can find it in either your eBenefits or you can request it at  If you have only recently requested it, you can, temporarily upload the Statement of Benefits:

Sample Post 9/11 GI Bill Statement of Benefits



You will also need to complete the Benefits Enrollment process via the Veterans Portal.

*Not providing proper documentation of your benefits can hinder and delay your educational benefits.

Accepted Educational Benefits

Chapter 30-Montgomery GI Bill 

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 

Chapter 31-VoC Rehab 

Chapter 35- Dependents 

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Reserves





  • Military Tuition Assistance – Financial assistance based on the branch of military service. Please contact your Unit Education Officer for more information. 
  • Financial Aid – Check out additional financial assistance that can be obtained here at Charlotte.
  • Helpful VA Contacts - Find contact numbers for a variety of Department of Veterans Affairs services.
  • The American Legion- Legacy Scholarship
    • The American Legion’s Legacy Scholarship provides college scholarship money to children of post-9/11 veterans who died on active duty, or have a combined VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. Application deadline is April 15.
    • The American Legion Legacy Scholarship is a needs-based scholarship designed to fulfill a financial gap remaining after all federal and state educational grants/scholarships available to an eligible applicant have been utilized.


      Children of U.S. military members who died while on active duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001.

      Children of post-9/11 veterans having been assigned a combined disability rating of 50 percent or greater by the Department of Veterans Affairs also qualify.


      Each needs-based scholarship provides up to $20,000 in aid for undergraduate or post-graduate college. Recipients may reapply for additional annual awards up to six times

  • Tilmman Military Scholarship (Private)- The Tillman Scholar program is open to applicants who meet the following criteria:
    • Veteran and active duty service membersfrom all branches of the military including National Guard and Reserves who have served in pre- and post-9/11 service areas.A graduate or professional degree
      • An undergraduate degree (or above)
      • Spouses, veterans and service members who apply must be a full-time* student pursuing one of the following degrees at a public or private, U.S.-based, accredited institution:

      • Current spouses of veteran or active duty service members, including surviving spouses

  • Folds of Honor Scholarship-
    • The Higher Education Scholarship program was established to provide post-secondary scholarship assistance for spouses and dependents of our nation’s service members. By standing in the financial gap of the more than one million dependents adversely affected by war, Folds of Honor is honoring their sacrifice by educating their legacy.
  • North Carolina Scholarship for Children of Wartime Veterans
    • Over 20,000 scholarships have been awarded to children of North Carolina veterans. North Carolina’s Scholarship Program was created to show its appreciation for the services and sacrifices of its war veterans. The scholarship program applies to North Carolina schools. The scholarship is for eight academic semesters and the recipient has eight years to utilize the eight academic semesters. The Scholarship program has been established for the qualifying natural or an adopted child (if adopted before the age of 15) children of certain class categories of deceased, disabled, combat, or POW/MIA veterans. Applicant must be under the age of 25 at the time of application. The veteran’s qualifying criteria must have occurred during a period of war. At time of application, applicant must be domiciled and a resident of North Carolina. The deadline to apply is February 14.  In addition:

      1.  Veteran parent was a legal resident of North Carolina at time of said veteran’s entrance into that period of service in the Armed Forces during which eligibility is established, 


      2.  The applicant is the natural child or adopted child (if adopted before the age of 15) of an eligible veteran and the child/adopted child was born in North Carolina and has been a resident of North Carolina continuously since birth.

  • Yellow Ribbon Program - The Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay you:
    • All resident tuition & fees for a school
    • Degree-granting institutions of higher learning participating in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program agree to make additional funds available for your education program without an additional charge to your GI Bill entitlement. These institutions voluntarily enter into a Yellow Ribbon Agreement with VA and choose the amount of tuition and fees that will be contributed. VA matches that amount and issues payments directly to the institution.
    • If you would like to apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program at Charlotte you will apply via the Veterans Portal