How do I receive in-state tuition?

Establish Residency 

The best way to receive in-state tuition is to meet the requirements for establishing residency laid out by Charlotte’s Residency Determination Office. For more information on how this process works, click here.

If you don’t believe you meet the requirements for residency, see below:

Policy 702

A bill has been implemented that requires universities to charge qualifying individuals in-state tuition regardless of residency status. In order to qualify, a student must either:

Be using their Post 9/11 or Montgomery Chapter 30 GI Bill® and must be living in the state where the school is located. 


Be using the Post 9/11 Transfer of Entitlement benefits and be living in the state where the school is located.

Meeting either of these requirements will not change your overall residency status, but does qualify you to be charged the in-state rate by the university. 

If you meet the above requirements, please contact our office at so we can get the process started.

North Carolina National Guard

If you are in a North Carolina National Guard unit, you will be charged the instate rate here at Charlotte. Again, this does not change your residency status for any other purpose but the tuition you are charged. In many cases those who meet this requirement will still be charged out of state, in which case they will need to appeal the decision and show proof that they are in a North Carolina National Guard Unit. See above on how to contact the Residency Determination Office.