Army National Guard Tuition Assistance - Federal

Here's how to apply.

Contact your state education services office to find out if you’re eligible. Additional information may also be available at your state education home page.

If you’re eligible, start the application process by creating a GoArmyEd account under Student and filling out all the required data. Once you have set up an FTA account, you can begin requesting tuition assistance.

Here’s a look at that process: 

1. Enrollment requests must be submitted and approved through prior to the course start date. Any enrollments requested on or after the class start date will be approved as Soldier-funded.

2. TA is requested on a course-by-course basis, and each course must be part of an approved degree program.

3. GoArmyEd will notify the Soldier whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is not approved, GoArmyEd will advise the Soldier of the reason and next steps.

4. All drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Soldiers who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons through GoArmyEd and complete all required steps to ensure that they will not be charged.

5. If the Soldier wishes to take a class with a school that does not participate in the electronic GoArmyEd class schedule, a TA Request Authorization form must be completed in GoArmyEd. The TA Request Authorization will be routed to an Army Education Counselor to be reviewed and approved. Soldiers should allow extra time for this. If the TA Request Authorization is approved, the Soldier will be notified by email. Soldiers must print the approved TA Request Authorization form in GoArmyEd, provide it to the school and enroll directly with the school.
6. Soldiers must acknowledge and electronically sign the TA Statement of Understanding (TA SOU) each quarter they wish to use TA.

FTA can be a huge help in driving down the cost of your education, but also be sure to ask your state education office for other benefits and programs they provide National Guard Soldiers—some include full in-state tuition.