Skip to main content
Campus Resources

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members.

Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions. This money is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services.

Additionally, active duty members may elect to use the GI Bill® "top-up" in addition to their service provided TA to cover high-cost courses.

TA is not a loan; it should be viewed as money you have earned just like your base pay.

The Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and is part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. The courses must be offered by schools that are registered IA Portal, are accredited by accrediting agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and are signatories to the current Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding (DOD MOU).

All eligible Soldiers will request TA through IA Portal.

Further details on the provisions of TA are found in AR 621-5 and policy documents signed by the Director, Army Continuing Education System.

Tuition Assistance Rates/Fees

The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed a uniform per semester hour cap of $250 for tuition assistance (TA) and an annual ceiling of $4,500. The Services are authorized to establish Service-specific eligibility criteria to manage TA funds. The Army will pay 100 percent of tuition costs up to the DoD semester hour cap of $250 per semester hour cap for up to 16 semester hours of TA-funded courses per fiscal year. School fee charges of any type are no longer eligible for funding with TA.

Current Army policy limits TA to 130 semester hours of undergraduate credit or baccalaureate degree, whichever comes first and 39 semester hours of graduate credit or master's degree whichever comes first. The 39 semester hour limit applies to all credits taken after completion of a baccalaureate degree.

Before you can access the online TA request process, you must create a user name and password on the AFVEC. This can be done through the Air Force Portal at

There are six steps to completing your online application. As you progress through the steps there will be a checkmark on the form that indicates that you have successfully completed the step and can proceed.


Enrollment Reason options are available for the Air Force to better determine why you choose to utilize TA for off-duty education. Please select the reason that best identifies why you are using TA. 


Select the school or civilian institution that you will be attending from the list provided. If the school you wish to attend is not available in the list, you must report to your base education office to obtain the TA form.


Enter the beginning and end dates for the term you will be taking. Please note that term dates are inclusive dates of a specific term and do not necessarily represent the exact start date for your specific course (i.e., term starts on Monday, Jan 10, but your course does not start until Wednesday, Jan 12). The dates must be exact or the TA will be disapproved.


Enter the course information by either selecting from a preloaded course catalog or by manually entering the course information. If you try to enter a course and find that it is not in the database, you will be required to enter the information manually. You can get this information by viewing your institution's student handbook or website.

Note: If you attend school at multiple locations or attending multiple schools, you must use multiple TA forms (i.e., one for on-base, one for off-base).


Select the registration fees from the drop-down list. These fees are only paid by the Air Force if payment of these fees is MANDATORY as a condition of enrollment. Enter each fee type and cost separately.


Verify that all of the TA information on the form is correct. Be careful to note school, term and course information to ensure that the information provided is accurate. Use the back buttons to correct any errors. 

If AFVEC finds that TA cannot cover some or all of the tuition, you will be notified and given the option to select the "VA Top-up" GI Bill® option. Follow the Top-Up link to verify your eligibility. You may use this option to supplement any cost not covered by TA if you are GI Bill® qualified. Lastly, make sure your email address is updated! This is the address where all communications between you and the education office will occur. You must use your military account unless you do not have one.

Be sure to read each of the conditions and certifications. You must agree to all conditions and certifications by checking them off prior to submitting your application for approval. Once you have agreed to all conditions and certifications, enter your full name and  "MY AFVEC"  password to submit.

Your application will be submitted to your local education center for final approval/disapproval. Do not factor this TA into defraying tuition costs until you receive final approval from the education center.

Any TA requests that are not authorized by your supervisor will be auto-disapproved at midnight of the term start date. It is important that you stay involved with your supervisor to ensure requests are reviewed prior to the term start date to avoid being auto-disapproved. For more information, contact your base education office.


  • You will receive notification of approved TA form.
  • The approved TA form will have both the approval official's and your digitally signed signatures.
  • You MUST send a copy of the approved TA form to your school


  • Missing grades over 60 days from course end date.
  • Missing personal data in the education record 
  • Requesting TA for courses that start more than 30 days into the future.
  • No degree plan in records.

Marines must apply for Marine Corps Tuition Assistance (TA) through WebTA.
**Only courses with the same start and end dates can be on the same application. Courses with different start/end dates require multiple applications to be submitted.

What are the procedures to use TA?

  1. Contact your Marine Corps Voluntary Education Center to receive educational counseling either in person or by phone. With your academic advisor, determine which courses will be requested for TA funding.
  2. Complete a TA Application in WebTA listing course(s). Check with your institution to make sure the amounts for tuition you listed are correct. Fees cannot be paid using TA funds.
  3. Start your application 60 days in advance of the term start date. You can submit your TA even before finishing your enrollment in the course at your school.
  4. To apply for Tuition Assistance electronically from any computer:

Every TA application MUST be Command Approved prior to being forwarded to the Voluntary Education Center for final approval.

Following command approval, you will receive an email notification that your application has been sent to a Marine Corps Voluntary Education Center for final review and authorization.

Once the TA application is funded, the Marine will receive an email notification. As a reminder, TA applications MUST be authorized (funded) prior to the term start date.

The Marine MUST print their voucher and turn the voucher into the school accounting office to process the payment.

Obtaining Tuition Assistance (TA) is one part of the Voluntary Education process. The following steps focus on how to receive approval of your TA application. These steps should be completed in order. Note: you must submit required documentation at specific points in the process.

For more information about the entire Voluntary Education process, see The VOLED Process on this site.


Inform your chain of command of your interest to start or continue your education. (Many commands require a special request chit to proceed.)


Your Navy College Education Counselor is there to help guide you through the process of selecting a pathway to reach your personal and professional goals. The counselor will help you establish an education plan to advance your personal and professional journey. Contact a Navy College Education Counselor.

For more detail on the counseling session see the VOLED Step 2 – Complete Counseling at the NCVEC page on this site.

For more information on developing your education plan, see the VOLED Step 3 – Research, Select a School, & Develop a Plan on this site.


Upload your education/degree plan on the My Education  Module under "My Education Plan." When uploading the file, use the school name for "File Name" and the degree and major for “Description.” Contact the NCVEC after you upload your education/degree plan for a plan review and record update.


Once your record has been updated, submit your WebTA application using the My Education  module. Per NAVADMIN 219/16, all WebTA applications must be submitted and command approved no later than 14 days prior to your term start date. On our home page, there is an article, entitled "Navy's Tuition Assistance Command Approval Time Line" that provides a sample calendar to assist you. Submitting your WebTA application early allows sufficient time to resolve issues and to review and authorize your TA funding in a timely manner.


After your command approves and the NCVEC authorizes your WebTA application, a voucher is generated. All generated vouchers can be found under “Existing Applications” in the My Education  module. Print, sign, and forward the authorized/funded TA voucher to your academic institution for payment.

How do I apply?

  1. Complete Tuition Assistance Counseling Worksheet( ETQC-4147-2)
  2. Submit electronically using WebTA or ask your ESO  for TA form (ETQC-4147), it is accepted on a case by case basis.
  • WebTA is the Navy's tuition assistance system and is accessed through the My Education Portal.

How does the process work?

  1. You fill out the online application at NKO which is then sent to your ESO for review and approval. 
  2. Your ESO reviews and approves the application which is then sent to ETQC for processing.
  3. CG ETQC processes the application, and the TA Authorization is sent to you via email (if your email address is correct in DA). If you don't receive the Authorization within 14 days, you can ask your ESO to contact the ETQC-VE division at or via phone at (757) 366-6578.

How do I fill out the application?

 The Voluntary Education for Sea Services (WebTA) for the Member SOP has step-by-step procedures for filling out the application.

  • Apply with the Application for TA Form (CG-4147)

How does the process work?

  1. Download the Application for Coast Guard Tuition Assistance (ETQC-4147) and save it to your computer.
  2. Once the form is complete, email it to your ESO for review and approval. All applications, corrections, cancellations must go through your ESO. In addition, the member needs to submit supporting documentation to the ESO along with the ETQC-4147 (i.e., assessment, verification of enrollment, cost and type of fees claimed, and cost of tuition).
  3. Keep a copy of the form for your records.
  4. Your ESO reviews and approves the application which is then sent to CG ETQC for processing.
  5. CG Institute processes the application, and the TA Authorization is sent to your ESO and you via email (if your email is correct in DA). If you don't receive the Authorization within 14 days, ask your ESO for a copy.

How to Apply:

Contact your state education services office to find out if you’re eligible. Additional information may also be available at your state education home page.

If you’re eligible, start the application process by creating a GoArmyEd account under Student and filling out all the required data. Once you have set up an FTA account, you can begin requesting tuition assistance.

Here’s a look at that process: 

FTA requests are made through ArmyIgnitED.

Soldiers with questions can contact their assigned State Education Service Specialist directly or submit a help desk ticket to the ArmyIgnitED ServiceNow.

To start the process, follow the steps below:

  • Step 1.  Go to ArmyIgnitED and sign in with your CAC card. 

  • Step 2.  Once the student account is established, select the education goal. Select education level, school and degree you want to pursue. 

  • Step 3.  Once your education goal has been approved by your ESO/ESS, click on the Virtual Benefits Training link; after that is completed, click on TA Requests and issue funding. 

  • Step 4.  Your assigned education counselor will review your tuition assistance request (TAR) and approve or reject it. You will receive an email stating the status of the TAR and the steps to follow, if necessary. 

  • Step 5.  Register with your school.

    Note: All drops/withdrawals must take place through ArmyIgnitED. Soldiers who do not successfully complete a class will be required to repay the TA. Soldiers who are unable to successfully complete a class due to military reasons must request a Withdrawal for Military Reasons (now called a recoupment waiver).

If assistance is required, you can send a message directly to your assigned counselor in the system or reach out to your Education Services Officer outside of the system.

  • for Army & Air National Guard members ONLY.
  • REIMBURSEMENT program.
  • NOT designed to meet payment deadlines set by schools. It is your responsibility to make payment arrangements to avoid being dropped.
  • NOT the same as GoArmyEd or GI Bill® benefits. These are 3 SEPARATE programs.


​In order to qualify for NCTAP funds, the Service Member must be:

  • in good standing with your unit. CANNOT be flagged for any reason.
  • attending a school approved to receive NCTAP funding.  Please contact the NCNG Education Services Office to determine if your school meets these criteria.
  • meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements for the approved institution of higher education.
  • an active drilling member of the North Carolina Army or Air National Guard PRIOR to the start date of the term/course(s).
  • an active drilling member of the Army or Air National Guard and meeting the 2-year service obligation.  You MUST have 2 years remaining on your contract with the North Carolina Army or Air National Guard at the END of the academic period for which the award will be applied.
  • attending an approved certificate or degree program at an approved institution of higher education approved by the Authority.


The steps for the NCTAP have changed. Please follow the directions below:

  1. ​To be considered for the NCTAP, please register at
  2. Uploading coursework information is REQUIRED. Use of this form to upload required information is optional and is also available in the NC National Guard Student Portal:

Students need only register once for an account while serving in the NC National Guard.

Students are required to upload coursework information each term in which they wish to be considered for NCTAP funding.