Skip to main content
Campus Resources


The best way to receive in-state tuition is to meet the requirements for establishing residency laid out by North Carolina’s Residency Determination Office. Qualifying in-state residents are eligible to apply for state grants and other funding. 

For more information on how on residency determination and to apply:



All students must complete the Residency Determination, as it is a University requirement. However, it does not negatively impact billing of tuition and fees for benefit users.

If you don't meet the requirements for residency, there are special provisions for those using military benefits to receive tuition exceptions.

  • Active Duty members, and their dependents, station in North Carolina, based on current orders.
  • Veterans/Military Dependents using VA educational benefits.


A bill has been implemented that requires universities to charge qualifying individuals in-state tuition regardless of residency status. In order to qualify, a student must be using VA educational benefits and living within the state the school is located. A student must be using benefits each term to qualify for in-state tuition waiver. 

⇒ Meeting these requirements will not change your overall residency status, but does qualify you to be charged the in-state rate by the university. 

If a student is determined to be “out-of-state” and is requesting a tuition exception, the student MUST UPLOAD DOCUMENTATION into the Certification Portal to qualify.

Documentation must include the following:

  • Certification of Eligibility (COE)
  • RDS denial screenshot
  • A copy of a housing bill, lease, mortgage or notarized letter confirming their in-state address.


If you are in the North Carolina National Guard, you will be charged the in-state rate here at Charlotte. Again, this does not change your residency status for any other purpose but the tuition you are charged. 

If you are being charged out-of-state tuition, you will need to show proof of North Carolina National Guard service to the RDS office. See above on how to contact the Residency Determination Office.